#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Beb Patisserie, Ultimo » | EoMEoTE #9:The morning after » | Grab Your Diary, 5-27 August » | Sprout the love, baby » | Tokyo Mart, Northbridge » | Kagaya, Hurstville » | IMBB#17: Green tea and almond cookies » | Flying Fish and Chips, Pyrmont » | Grab Your Diary, 28 July - 22 August » | Chopsticks in Chinatown sweet conclusion: Emperors... »

Monday, August 08, 2005

Ramen Kan, Haymarket

I've posted on Ramen Kan before, but like any good foodblogger, I find it hard to forgo any photo opportunity.

We step into the discreet doorway with the blase confidence of a local now and ascend the lift to the first floor. We're here for lunch today and, as usual, the place is full of noodle-slurping patrons.



My dining companion orders the yakisoba, a giant platter of soba noodles stir-fried with vegetables, topped with a thin omelette and served with a side of miso.


Yakisoba $8.50

I feel like something light and refreshing, so I elect for the tsukemen, a cold dish of ramen noodles which comes with a spicy soup on the side.


Tsukemen $9.50

Reclining ever so elegantly on the cold noodle mountain are three slices of tender-cooked pork, so soft they fall part with ease. A boiled egg half adds a rich creaminess to the dish and the huge pile of finely shredded scallions balance the palate with a zingy freshness.



The soup has a pleasant nutty saltiness to it, and I gradually demolish my whole condiment dish of chilli and crunchy fried garlic and seaweed with cumulative mouthfuls.

Tasty, refreshing and a bargain to boot.




View Larger Map
Ramen-Kan on Urbanspoon

Ramen Kan
Level 1, 90 Hay Street, Haymarket Chinatown, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9211 6677

Related GrabYourFork posts:
Japanese ramen -- Ajisen Ramen, Haymarket
Japanese ramen -- Ichi Ban Boshi, Sydney (Feb08) and (Aug05)
Japanese ramen -- Menya Japan Noodle Bar, Haymarket
Japanese ramen -- Ramen Kan, Haymarket (Aug 05), (Nov 04)
Japanese ramen -- Ryo's Noodles, Crows Nest (Mar08), (Aug07) and (Jul07)
Japanese ramen -- Tokyo Ramen, Hornsby
Japanese ramen -- Zenya Noodle Bar, Eastwood
8 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 8/08/2005 08:50:00 pm


8 Comments:

  • At 8/09/2005 7:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been here many times since your original post last year. Always for dinner, as its about a 5 minute walk from my house.

    Not that I have to tell you how good it is, but if you're reading this post and have even a slight doubt about going - don't. Go there and eat, you'll thank AG for it!

    I'm still working my way through the menu, but it'll be no great surprise to anyone that my current fave is the Ramen & Gyoza set with a cold Sapporo. Yum.

    One day, I'll skive off work and go there for the lunch deals . . .

     
  • At 8/09/2005 8:03 pm, Blogger Reid said…

    Hi AG,

    Your tsukemen looks much better than the ramen that I had a couple of days ago. In fact, I think I need to go have tsukemen again soon. There is this place that makes the noodles fresh everyday and ... *sigh*

     
  • At 8/09/2005 8:11 pm, Blogger boo_licious said…

    Cold noodles sound great and those pieces of pork look so yummy.

     
  • At 8/10/2005 9:03 pm, Blogger Reid said…

    Hi AG,

    No I haven't seen them make it. Whenever I've gone their, the room is already clean. I think I'm going to ask what time the noodles are made so that I can take a trip there to see it in action.

     
  • At 8/22/2007 3:03 pm, Blogger Sydneyguy said…

    The entry to this place reminds me so much of Japan, how everything is so small!! The food is nice here and recently the menu has been updated to have new things on the menu. The set out of the place is really nice, but it is small place. You know its authentic japanese, beause the waitress's english is quite poor!! hahah just a joke but if you ever been to Japan, you know there english aint the best!! Im not being racist, im chinese you know!!

     
  • At 8/24/2007 10:37 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Sydneyguy - It's a great little ramen house. The Irrashaimase welcoming always makes me think of Japan and smile :)

     
  • At 8/25/2008 3:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well as for me I just LOVE japanese food and it has been the zillion times i've been there.. LOL.. food are tasty~ I like the kaisen don btw if no1 hasnt tried it yet.. ramens are alright but kaarage don and kaisen don are my fav.. gotta love them..

     
  • At 8/31/2008 10:00 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Anon - I haven't tried he kaisen don yet, but thanks for the tip :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts