#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Sunflower Crepe Cafe, Ultimo » | Ryo's Noodles, Crows Nest » | Dae Jang Kum Korean BBQ, Haymarket » | Spice I Am, Surry Hills » | More Japan photos are up: Takayama morning markets » | Outback Steakhouse, North Strathfield » | The Rocks Aroma Festival » | Kei's Kitchen Kaiseki Cooking Class » | Pardz at LMC Cafe, Chippendale » | High Tea at the Victoria Room, Darlinghurst »

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Regal Restaurant, Sydney



EDIT: Regal Restaurant has closed

It'd been aaaages since I'd had yum cha at the Regal. Something like fifteen years or more.

What I hadn't realised was that downstairs, beneath the main dining arena, is a rabbit warren of private rooms, bare and somewhat bland in decor, but perfect for our group of twelve who are ravenous for yum cha.

We immediately bypass the hungry hordes waiting for tables of two, three and four, and head downstairs into what feels like a gambling den of the underworld. It's not quite the same having our yum cha options come around on trays, not trolleys, but the food is reasonably fast and reasonably tasty too.

There are some pinings for the signature clattering cacophony of yum cha chaos but at least the private room means we can all make conversation and hear each other. Lots of conversation, lots of tea and lots of delicious nibbles. Isn't that what yum cha is all about?


Har gow prawn dumplings


Scallop dumplings


Siu mai pork dumplings


Dumplings and chicken feet


Gao choi gow garlic chive dumplings


Pai gwut black bean pork ribs


Soya sauce bottle


BBQ pork rice noodles


Har cheung fun prawn rice noodles


Daan tart custard tarts



Regal Restaurant
 CLOSED
347-353 Sussex Street, Sydney
(corner of Sussex and Liverpool Street)
Tel: +61 (02) 9261 8988

Open 7 days
Lunch 10.00am - 3.00pm
Dinner 5.30pm - 12 midnight
14 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 8/08/2007 11:58:00 pm


14 Comments:

  • At 8/09/2007 4:52 am, Blogger Chunky Bacon said…

    btw the problem that I found with Sydney in general is that many resto have their menu adjusted to western tastes.

    have you been to Singapore?
    I've just bought Lonely Planet guide to Singapore and it claimed that
    "food is a national obsession".
    and you can have it as low as $4 per meal. I'm so looking forward to this trip next year.

     
  • At 8/09/2007 10:10 am, Blogger SoRMuiJAi said…

    Depending on what you eat, a decent meal in singapore can cost as low as $1. A breakfast of stir fried noodles, fish cakes and fried chicken cost me $1.50SGD. :D But mind you, their servings are much smaller, so if you're used to the Australian portion, you may need to order two meals.

     
  • At 8/09/2007 10:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome to the underground yum cha club. Its certainly a more relaxed way to have yum cha.

    Regal is off the beaten track being right up near the George St cinemas. Always good for a change though.

    I've tended to go to the upstairs Marigold on George St when I'm in the city.

    Unablogger: You really should skip over to Kuala Lumpur for excellent food there.

     
  • At 8/09/2007 12:52 pm, Blogger Jayne said…

    The yumcha dishes look really good..
    it's lunch time and it's making me hungry!

    What's the average price for yumcha per head at Regal?

     
  • At 8/09/2007 5:12 pm, Blogger Truffle said…

    Your yum cha photos are fabulous! You've given me a serious dumpling craving :)

     
  • At 8/10/2007 2:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I haven't had tim sum for so long.. ! *sigh*... how i envy you lah..!

     
  • At 8/11/2007 2:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those containers are fabulous! The food, while I usually don't eat pork or chicken feet, looks pretty good!

     
  • At 8/12/2007 1:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The dim sum looks so good. I live in Chicago and we have some good dim sum but yours looks better. Great blog.

     
  • At 8/12/2007 2:14 am, Blogger Jam said…

    I stumbled upon your blog when researching on Sydney for a vacation earlier this year. I'd like to thank you for all the helpful tidbits on Sydney... it made my holiday much more enjoyable. Even now, when I read your blog, I think back to the good time I had in Sydney. I've just set up my own blog and I hope you don't mind me putting a link to yours. Thanks! And I love your pictures of the yum cha dishes. Although I live in Singapore where dim sum (yum cha) can be found, I haven't eaten them for such a long time now!

     
  • At 8/13/2007 12:01 am, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Unablogger - I think there is some 'Westernisation' in some restaurants, but compared to the UK and US, we in Sydney have it pretty darn good!

    I haven't been to Singapore but I hear the food is great. And cheap too :)

    Hi Sormuijai - Yum! You're making me hungry!

    Hi Andrew - Underground yumcha was very relaxed, but as I mentioned, not quite the same either :) I love the crazy chaos (kids running behind chairs, constant chatter, checking out the fish tanks etc).

    Hi shopaholic - I think it's generally about $18-25/head. Depends on how much you eat and what you order of course.

    Hi Truffle - Thanks. Dumplings always look good :)

    Hi Mama BoK - Ah I think it's time you had yourself a holiday :)

    Hi Hillary - Do you mean the bamboo steamers? They're standard practice at most Sydney yum cha house. They do look pretty.

    Hi Sal - I think Sydneysiders are pretty lucky when it comes to yum cha and dim sum. I know I miss it when I'm overseas :)

    ps. your yum cha pics are positively droolworthy!

    Hi Jam - Aww thanks. I'm glad this blog led to some tasty food adventures in Sydney. And happy food blogging. Welcome to the club! :)

     
  • At 8/13/2007 2:02 pm, Blogger purple goddess said…

    Hey Helen!

    If you're ever in Melb, cehck out Fu Long in Box Hill. I can't rave highly enough about this place..

    Green tripes and chickens feet, 101 types of dumpling-y goodness.

    Went there with Husband and Bean a few weeks ago.. it's a regular on our Yum Cha journey.

    Will definitely tag this for your trip to Sydney in Sept.

    Cheers.

    pg

     
  • At 8/13/2007 9:03 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Purple Goddess - I haven't had yum cha in Box Hill, only Chinatown, so thanks for the tip. I haven't been to Melbourne for ages. Another trip is long overdue :)

     
  • At 11/12/2009 12:30 pm, Anonymous Amy said…

    I just tried for the first time of my life YUM CHA cuisine at Regal Restaurant and it was just wonderful and CHEAP! We were two and had about 6/7 YUM CHA only for $38. I love this cuisine because it's yummy and healthy. I must know discover another restaurant around Sydney!

     
  • At 11/13/2009 6:07 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Amy - There are plenty of great yum cha restaurants in Sydney. I tend to visit China Grand (which is quite cheap and has the biggest single dining room in Chinatown) or East Ocean.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts