#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Tokyo Mart, Northbridge » | Kagaya, Hurstville » | IMBB#17: Green tea and almond cookies » | Flying Fish and Chips, Pyrmont » | Grab Your Diary, 28 July - 22 August » | Chopsticks in Chinatown sweet conclusion: Emperors... » | Chopsticks in Chinatown, Part IV: Thai Kee Superma... » | It's a Big Ad » | Northside Produce Market, July 2005 » | Anzac biscuits »

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Sprout the love, baby



I've always loved Brussel sprouts--their miniature cabbage-like appearance, their compactness, their pass-the-parcel like layers. Perhaps not quite as monumental an export from Belgium as their chocolate, but still thoroughly endearing.

Those who think otherwise have probably fallen victim to overcooked mush to the point of grey. And no vegetable should ever be forced to overcome a handicap of watery, soggy or textureless punishment.

Usually I prefer mine boiled quickly in plenty of salted water, and then drowned in a generous dollop of oyster sauce. They have a sweet, almost nutty taste, and provide that pleasing sense of nourishment when you know you're eating something good for you.

I can't remember where I spotted this recipe lately--probably Good Living or the Good Weekend. But the combination of carrots, sprouts, garlic and butter sounded too good and too easy to refuse. Apparently peeling the outer leaves of the sprouts and making the 'heart' smaller will lessen the cooking time and reduce the likelihood of any cabbage-reminiscent blues.

Easy sweet Brussel sprouts
3 medium carrots
300g Brussel sprouts
30g butter
2 cloves garlic

Peel and chop carrots into similarly-sized slices or spears.
Trim Brussel sprouts and slice in half length-ways. Peel outer layers until only the compact heart remains. Retain the outer layers for cooking.
Add carrots to a large saucepan of salted boiling water and cook for 4 minutes (or until almost cooked).
Add sprouts (both outer leaves and hearts), cover lid and boil until sprouts turn bright green and are barely cooked.
Drain vegetables and set aside.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over a low-to-medium heat and sweat off roughly chopped garlic (don't allow garlic or butter to brown).
Add sprouts and carrots to saucepan and coat thoroughly.
Plate and serve.


And yes, they were delicious!
8 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 8/03/2005 11:59:00 pm


8 Comments:

  • At 8/04/2005 8:34 am, Blogger Jess (fushmush) said…

    wow, I thought I was an unusual because I've always liked peas. When I was a child I used to swap with my sister; my pumpkin, which I hated, for her peas, which she hated. Everyone wins!

    Have you always liked them?

     
  • At 8/04/2005 9:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeh, I like brussel sprouts too(and peas and pumpkins!). We had some in SA with bacon and honey, and Lord, it was good.

     
  • At 8/04/2005 10:14 am, Blogger eat stuff said…

    I only started to like B S this year... but gee they can be good when not over done!

     
  • At 8/05/2005 3:12 pm, Blogger Reid said…

    Hi AG,

    Love brussel sprouts too! It's weird because I didn't really know anyone else that did...until now! YIPPEE!

     
  • At 8/05/2005 7:28 pm, Blogger boo_licious said…

    AG, me too! I love brussel sprouts. When I used to study in England, I will always buy them and stir fry them so they don't get mushy. My english friends use to think I'm a bit cracked in the head since I love it so much.

     
  • At 8/06/2005 12:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've only disovered Brussel Sprouts after coming to Australia many years ago, and i absolutely love it the way you've described or quickly stir fried with garlic. Yum!!

    Like boo_licious, some of my friends thought i was abit odd ;)

     
  • At 8/06/2005 7:41 pm, Blogger Joycelyn said…

    hi ag, i am not usually very big on brussel sprouts - only you could have managed to make them sound and look so enticing ;) cheers,j

     
  • At 12/17/2006 5:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds great. Anyone have any experience with brussel sprout leaves or greens? My mom just brought some over and I'm not sure if I should brave eating them!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts